Today, the Town of Pendleton covers 27 square miles and has a population of approximately 7000. The population has grown tremendously in the past 30 years, up 40% from 1990. The population growth has spurred both new home and commercial construction. There are approximately 2200 housing units in the town with a median value of $202,000.
To accommodate this growth, WFC announced the construction of a new Hall 2 and the purchase of a new ladder truck in 2021. Their fire district consists of the entire Town of Pendleton, New York. It is bordered by Townline Road to the West, Transit Road to the East, Lockport Road to the North and the Erie Canal/Tonawanda Creek to the South.
The Town of Pendleton was taken from Niagara on February 2, 1824. Pendleton received its name from the village at the junction of Tonawanda Creek and the Erie Canal, which was in existence long before the town was erected; the village took its name from Sylvester Pendleton Clark, one of the earliest residents and former Governor of Grand Island. The first settlement was made by Jacob Christman. Early settlers included Martin Van Slyke, and John and Adam Fulmer.
The Wendelville Fire Company (WFC) was founded in 1921 with the original Incorporation papers listing 29 members. At a meeting held in August 1922, Albert Leffler promised to provide a plot of land for a fire hall as well as the fire hall itself, including furnishings and lights for meetings. The fire company served the community in all types of emergency situations and also provided a social aspect to the community with many dances, fundraisers and the annual field days. Meeting minutes show that the first piece of apparatus was purchased for $2600 with a payment of $1000 on delivery and 3 years to pay the balance.
The first officers were listed as follows:
On June 13, 1936, a dedication ceremony was held for the New Wendelville Fire Hall located almost directly across the street from the original hall on what is now Old Tonawanda Creek Road. That hall was sold by the Company in the mid 2000s.
Hall 1: The next fire hall was built in 1960 at the current location of the Main Hall on the corner of Campbell Boulevard and Tonawanda Creek Road. That building was subsequently expanded in the 1970s to include a large meeting/banquet hall, a members room and offices. The Company still owns and maintains this hall today.
Hall 2: After over 40 years of service and pressure from neighboring companies to move into the fire district, a decision was made to expand services and coverage. In the late 1960s a parcel of property was purchased on Main Rd in order to build a substation. Wendelville Hall 2 was dedicated March 2, 1969. Ambulance service was also started in 1969. The Company still owns and maintains this hall today.
Hall 3: Hall #3 was refurbished from an old School House to a Fire Hall in 1971 and is located on East Canal Rd. The Company still owns and maintains this hall today.
Wendelville Fire Company had 458 runs in 2020. They run 3 pumpers, an aerial, a brush truck, an ambulance, and 2 UTV's out of 3 stations. They have a Water Rescue Team and trailer they use for calls in/on the Erie Canal and Tonawanda Creek. They use their two UTV's to protect the Erie Canal bike path and a large snowmobile path that runs right through their district. Some of the more noteworthy businesses in their first due district include The Holiday Inn Express and the Hampton Inn as well as West Herr Honda & Chrysler, Mike Smith Buick and Bobcat of Buffalo. They also have a fire prevention trailer. This year (2021) they are celebrating their 100th year in existence!
27E-1 is a Ferrara Igniter Engine
27M-5 is a Ford F350 Brush Truck
27R-9 Medix Ambulanc
27E-2 is a KME Predator Rescue Engine
27A-8 is a 100' E-One Mid-Mount Platform
27M-3 is a Polaris Ranger UTV
27E-3 is a E-One Pumper 34 Engine
27M-4 is a Kawasaki UTV